Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Heart Broken Student/Soldier

This evening 'MP' came to my house for a visit, my dad was speaking to them and I was busy surfing the net. After my brother told me it was a visit from the MP, I went to the door to have a look. They spoke to me with extremely friendly attitude and shook my hand. One of them, asked me this, "Are you going to Australia for overseas studies?", and my answer was "Yes, I am going over to UWA to study for Bachelor of Commerce". After a short chat, they left, I went back into my room to arrange my books and out of a sudden, I came accross a letter. I took a closer look and it was the rejection letter from NUS aka National Univeristy of Singapore, there was this sad feeling rush in and fill my heart.

Here is the story, I completed my Full-Time National Service with an Outstanding award with "Very Good" remarks on both performance and conduct, I have got a Nanyang Polytechnic Information Technology diploma with a score of 3.4/4 as my GPA, all I asked for is a place in NUS/NTU/SMU. I applied for all 3 of them, and got reject by either with a letter or a no notice rejection repeatedly until I give up on them. I don't want to get disappointed anymore, I decided to give overseas University a try. So I went to open house located at Orchard hotel and to my surprise I felt so welcomed there. Every single University makes me feel welcomed, they looked at my results and told me this "You have very good results you can apply for our University we will most likely take you(UWA/UQ/UniMel/UNSW/Monash...)". I found out that I was so demoralised by Singapore's Universities and Australian's Universities brighten up my life. As a Singapore citizen, I felt "second classed", thoughts of migrating to Australia or staying there as a PR beckons me. Few of my friends ask me, "why go and be a 'second class' citizen/resident in Australia when you can be a first class citizen in Singapore?" I question them with back with this "Are we 'first class' citizen or 'second class'?" Does 'second class' citizen in Singapore need to serve National Service?

No comments: